As the holidays get closer I always think about the things I am thankful for. When my kids were younger, I was a girl scout leader. One tradition our troop had been Thanksgiving dinner together, some time before the holiday. This dinner was not just for the girls in our troop, but also anyone in their family that wanted to join us. Each family would bring a dish to share and we would have the full Thanksgiving dinner with our scouting family.
Before we even dipped one spoon into the delicious foods in front of us we would join hands and someone would say grace. After that we would go around the table, one by one, to tell each other what we are thankful for. This was never something we did as children, but I thought it was important that the girls knew that no matter what happens in their day-to-day lives, there is always something to be thankful for. Each year, the lists got a bit longer and they all enjoyed sharing with each other.
This is a tradition that we still do today with our family, besides the food it is probably my favorite part of the day.
Today I would like to share what I am thankful for:
- Family – Even though there are things that separate me from my family I am thankful for my family. I hate that I do not get to see them enough, but they are always in my heart.
- My children – There was a time that I never thought I would see the day with no young kids in my house. I have three healthy children, two of them live in different states and the third is in another state at school. I miss them each daily and I am so proud of the adults they have become.
- Friends – Both virtual and in real life, I am surrounded by wonderful people. I am so thankful for each one of you.
- Home – We live in a world that sees many homeless people. I am so thankful that I have a warm home to stay in.
- In-Laws – Yes, they qualify as family, but they are so dear to me that I need to mention them separately. I truly believe they are a gift from God. I know that not everyone has a good relationship with their in-laws, so I am extremely grateful for mine.
- Health – I am thankful for my continued good health.
- Colleagues – I work with some of the best women, and I am extremely thankful for this. Shannon and Jen, I could not imagine doing all we do, on a daily basis, with someone else. Thank you for being a great team.
I hope each of you have a wonderful holiday season.