I am so excited to share with you that I will finally by taking a DNA test to aid in my research. No, it is not the YDNA, which I would like to have done in the future. Or, should I say I would like for a male member of my family to take. This is a new test that is being put out by Ancestry.
Yesterday afternoon, I received an email from Ancestry. It stated,
Subject of email: “Discover your genetic ethnicity and find family connections with AncestryDNA.”
“We have some exciting news about our new AncestryDNA™ service and we want you to be part of it. Over the past year we’ve worked with industry experts and applied the latest science and technology to make it possible for you to discover your genetic ethnicity and increase your chances of connecting with possible relatives through your DNA. Now we’re offering select Ancestry.com members like you the exclusive chance to get this new service for free before it’s available to the public (shipping and processing not included).* ”
Color me surprised to be part of the select. To be honest, I actually thought this was a spam email. So, I called Ancestry just to verify that this was indeed sent by them. To my luck, it was!
So, what do I need to do to get the test for free? I need to be “one of the first 10,000 to order by Sunday, Nov 6, 2011 and receive your DNA kit for free. Only $9.95 for shipping and processing.
According to Ancestry, “It’s this simple:
• Order our DNA test by November 6, 2011
• Receive a DNA collection kit in the mail
• Follow the simple steps to collect your DNA
• Mail in your DNA before November 30, 2011
• Receive your results in early 2012”
So, I ordered yesterday and paid my shipping and processing fee. Now, I patiently wait for my test to be delivered.
This is what Ancestry states I will get from this test,
“What will you get?
• A breakdown of your genetic ethnicity—See the mix of ethnicities found in the 700,000 DNA markers we test and see how they relate to your family tree.
• New family connections—Discover new relatives with DNA matching. Increase your chances of overcoming brick walls, confirming family relationships and finding common ancestors.
• Enhanced, easy-to-use web tools—Use your results and the power of Ancestry.com to make new discoveries and solve family mysteries.”
I am all about solving family mysteries. So, I hope this test can do that for me. I cannot wait to go through the process. Maybe once I complete this, I will be able to talk that male family member to get their YDNA tested so I can try to break down more of that O’Connell brick wall.